Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Three Weeks Old

We had a fun weekend with Jason's family. Miss Callie got to meet her Uncle Jeremy and see Aunt Andrea and Connor again.

Jeremy playing with Callie and Connor joining in!


Proud Cousin!

The boys helped Jason work on his shed he's building in the backyard and the girls went on a shopping trip! Callie did really well sleeping most of the time. She was the star at Metro Shoe Warehouse - it was funny how many people oohed and aahed over her. We even had a mom go get her daughter just to see Callie - it was funny.

Checking out Hobby Lobby


Sleeping in Gordman's

Then, Sunday we had church and then potluck afterwards. We finally got our family squeeze picture since we were all together!


This week has been a little more challenging in regards to getting Callie to fall asleep. She would do well through the day but the evening and getting her to sleep at our bedtime has been more challenging. We've rocked her, tried the pacifier, walked with her and eventually she'd give it up and go to sleep. Today, after reviewing the information from my pediatrician, I decided to let her cry for a little bit. He says that it's ok to cry some especially if they have been fed, changed, burped, walked, etc. and that it's normal for babies to cry some so I let her go and within 5 minutes she put herself to sleep. Although 5 minutes seems like forever when your baby is crying, it was reassuring that she's ok and just a bit fussy. Her doctor also said that her fussiness would increase until about 6 weeks then come back down so that could be part of it also. She's still a really good baby and I'm sure we'll have more challenges come along that will make this seem silly. :)

Speaking of challenges, I have started trying to pump this week (well, today actually). I need to look up the best time to try and pump. I know that if Callie sleeps through a feeding at night that I can pump and most of what I've seen is to pump after she eats. I've tried that today but didn't get much and I'm wondering if it's just my supply needs to be demanded a little more for it to increase since I haven't pumped until now. Any advice would be great. If it doesn't get better I may try and go to the hospital to a class or call the lactation consultants for some help. I want to start building up a supply so that when I go back to work, I'll have some available along with what I'm able to pump at work.

Here's pictures from the last couple of days - just hanging around the house.

Hanging out with Daddy


When she decided to sleep today

Callie became official as we got her SS card and I went to go get some birth certificates. Not much planned for the rest of this week. Next week, I go back to my OB for my postpartum check and also to the Ear doctor to get my ear checked again. It hasn't really changed but he wanted to see me again to get an MRI to make sure everything is good so I want to get that done before the end of the year for my insurance deductable. We'll keep you updated on all of our activities!

3 comments:

  1. As a panicked mom just a few months ago (my daughter is 14 weeks) who had to go back to work a few weeks ago, let me tell you what I did/do for my supply...

    First, do you feed her only on one boob each time? I would use the same boob for a couple of feedings and then pump the other to increase what I got out of there. If you use both boobs at each feeding (which I think you should only do if you're sure the first is completely empty since not emptying it all the way can decrease your supply), try pumping one while she eats on the other and then switch her to the one you just pumped so she can finish it (since babies get more out than the pump). Until I went back to work, I had her eat on one side while I pumped on the other at every daytime feeding. I by no means overproduce, but I have not had to supplement or anything.

    Pumping and feeding her at the same time probably sounds complicated. It was, but you can get it down to a science so you are not spending all day worrying about feeding/pumping! Plus, when she is eating, it will help the letdown on the other side (that is being pumped!).

    Also, you make the most milk in the night (about 2am). If you can keep her on just one boob for a feeding or two, then pump the other right when you get up when it's nice and full. My daughter takes just one boob all night so by morning the other makes enough for a bottle.

    I have added some herbal supplements, too: fenugreek and blessed thistle. Oatmeal also helps increase supply and so does drinking cow's milk. Don't waste your money on "Mother's Milk" supplements when you can just buy the fenugreek, etc. in pill form. It ends up much cheaper that way.

    My advice comes from attending a BF support group during my maternity leave and tons of internet research. It seems to be working for me. I hope I don't sound like I'm lecturing...I just came across your blog and you asked for advice so here is some. :) Also, you may not be underproducing so you might not need the supplements, etc. My thought was that I'd get my supply as good as possible to save up milk during leave so that I wouldn't have to stress when I came to work. Now, I pump first thing in the morning (the opposite boob thing) and twice at work, and I am making enough for my daughter to take to her "school" the next day.

    Have you introduced a bottle? I'll bookmark your page and check back in case you ask for advice on that since we had a heck of a time with that, too!

    GOOD LUCK! Enjoy your precious girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll shoot you an email. It's so different for each person. Good luck and call if you're feeling frustrated. I definitely understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so wish the anonymous commentor above had a blog or a way I could contact her, because I need advice on how to get this child on the bottle!

    She gave you all the tips I have on pumpimg. I'm currently only pumping in the morning when we get up because I'm so engorged. I get 6-10 ounces then. It has increased from 2-3 per time at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete